Operation Newstart is an innovative re-engagement program for young people aged 14 -17 attending Victorian State Secondary schools who are at significant educational risk. Many are at risk of expulsion, have failed to attend school regularly and are at risk of not completing their secondary education.
Programs run for a school term, with students attending school for 1-2 days weekly and Operation Newstart for 3-4 days. Eight students enter each program working alongside a teacher/coordinator and other professionals.
Each program provides a multi-layered intervention, focusing on the young person’s relationship with self, family, school and community. Activities engage students in a proven process of change utilising experiential, vocational and therapeutic activities which include:
· outdoor/adventure-based activities,
· work place visits,
· skill-based activities
· therapeutic group work with parent involvement.
Nearly 2500 students have graduated since 1997, when the Operation Newstart programs were commenced. Respected contemporary research demonstrates substantial improvements in emotional symptoms, conduct and peer problems, hyperactivity, and pro-social behaviour.
Operation Newstart programs are located as follows:
· Operation Newstart Western at Travancore School in Flemington, servicing the Western suburbs. Tel: 03 9345 6053
· Operation Newstart Northern at Collingwood Special School, servicing the Northern suburbs. Tel: 03 9419 0369
· Operation Newstart South Eastern at Dandenong High School, servicing Greater Dandenong. Tel: 03 9793 9604
· Operation Newstart Casey at Narre Warren, servicing Casey, Cardinia and Greater Dandenong. Tel: 03 8794 9577
· Operation Newstart Geelong at Matthew Flinders Girls Secondary College, servicing Greater Geelong. Tel: 0488 086 474