Perinatal Anxiety & Depression in Australia
Post and Antenatal (collectively known as perinatal) depression and anxiety affects more than 100,000 expecting and new parents each year in Australia. It crosses all geographic and socioeconomic boundaries. Up to 1 in 10 expecting mums and 1 in 20 expecting dads struggle with antenatal depression and more than 1 in 7 new mums and up to 1 in 10 new dads are diagnosed with postnatal depression each year. Even more are thought to suffer anxiety.
The impact on these individuals, partners, families, friends and workplaces is devastating. However, PANDA knows families recover with the right support and treatment.
What We Do
For close to 30 years, PANDA has been supporting families struggling with perinatal anxiety and depression and assisting them in their recovery. A national not-for-profit organisation, PANDA is passionate about raising awareness of perinatal anxiety and depression, reducing stigma and encouraging early intervention to minimise the impact of these illnesses.
Peer support through the lived experience of those who have been through and recovered from perinatal anxiety and depression are integral to PANDA’s work.
Every year PANDA provides vital practical and emotional support to more than 120,000 Australians through our diverse range of services, including the PANDA National Helpline – Australia’s only specialist national helpline for families struggling with perinatal mental health concerns. PANDA manages around 11,000 calls each year.
• PANDA National Helpline - counselling, support, information and referrals to local support services. Staffed by professional counsellors and trained volunteers with lived experience of perinatal anxiety or depression
• Resource and referral information – for local support services throughout Australia, including: support groups and health professionals with expertise in perinatal anxiety and depression
• Health professional and community education activities
• Assistance setting up support groups and supported playgroups
• www.howisdadgoing.org.au – Australia’s only dedicated site for dads living with perinatal anxiety or depression