Sunshine Coast Youth Orchestra (SCYO) is the premier youth orchestra for our region and aims to provide professional, high standard tuition and musical extension for young musicians across the Sunshine Coast. Members are from all socioeconomic groups (state, private and home-schooled), including some with varying degrees of disability who have also found an outlet in music.
SCYO is a not-for-profit organisation relying on membership fees, fundraising and grants.
Our current membership is approximately 165 musicians and we have been operating for over 26 years. We engage qualified professional conductors and tutors dedicated to nurturing and developing musicians to the highest standard achievable. Membership is via audition and open to all.
SCYO is the only youth musical organisation on the Sunshine Coast offering:
· a comprehensive program with groups for different types of performances
· a full symphony orchestra
· feeder, or training groups for younger players
· an advanced string group and stage band
· an annual training camp
Current groups include:-
· Symphony Orchestra - advanced group of string, woodwind, brass, percussion
· Chamber Strings – advanced string group
· Wind Symphony Orchestra – balanced group of woodwind, brass, percussion
· Sinfonia – intermediate string orchestra
· Amati – younger, developing, string students
· Concert Band – younger, developing, woodwind, brass and percussion players
· Stage Band - advanced brass/wind, percussion
The Sunshine Coast Youth Orchestra is raising funds for their first overseas trip, which will see them playing at Japan’s Disneyland and schools around the country.
Approximately 50 students and a small group of support staff will fly to Japan over the Easter holidays next year for a unique experience. The tour will last 10 days and performances and workshops will be accompanied by other cultural learning experiences. The (youth) bands in Japan are amazing and it will be great for the kids to work with them. The also have a large venue, concert hall performance.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many of these young musicians and a big ask of their parents. They have been actively fundraising with sausage sizzles, busking etc. and any assistance you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
We feel this is a very worthwhile project we really want to succeed, and we are looking at grants also.
The group would ideally like to raise $50,000 to cover costs of the trip.
Thank you for your consideration